Army Debunks Video Alleging Order To ‘Kill Everybody’ In Orlu
The Nigerian Army has disowned a video clip alleging that troops of 302 Artillery Regiment, Onitsha, were given orders to commence the killing of people at Orlu market.
“The attention of the Division had been drawn to an orchestrated video clip by an unpatriotic element, being circulated on the social media, claiming to be a soldier by name Joseph from Bayelsa,” deputy director, public relations department, Army 82 division Col. Aliyu Yusuf said this in a statement on Wednesday.
“Preliminary investigation revealed that it was a calculated attempt to maliciously fabricate sensational stories to cause resentment and smear campaign against Nigerian Army Internal Security Operations.
“The supposed individual in the video was not bold enough to reveal his true identity as claimed or present his so called military uniform and identity card which were deliberately obscured to deceive innocent target audience.
“The Nigerian Army recognises the right of citizens to hold and share opinions on social media and not to spread divisive contents by unpatriotic individuals.”
The army on the invitation of the state government has been taking on operatives of the Eastern Security Network, an arm of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
Yusuf said the video clip was an attempt to tarnish the image and reputation of the military.
“This great disservice is not acceptable by any standard. It is worthy to note that Nigerian Army troops deployed for Internal Security Operations are guided by extant rules and regulations as stipulated in Nigerian Army Code of Conducts and Rules of Engagement in line with global best practices.
“The general public is therefore urged to disregard the false information contained in the video,” he said.